Not everyone has a large and generous budget to start an online store, and in that sense, we understand you.
We started the same way, and therefore, we are going to show you the strategies we used to set up our own first store, and which helped us to start selling.
The best part, you can do it on a tight budget. Not thousands of dollars, forget about that, just a minimal investment.
Now, let us see how you can make it happen!
The Timeframe and What You Need: Breaking It Down
To make things interesting, and to kill procrastination, you are going to set up your store in 2 weeks. Furthermore, the tools we are going to recommend you offer a 14-day free trial, so you are not going to invest in equipment.
The goal is to find a potentially winning product, set up your store as soon as possible and start the promotion of your business, to make the sales pour in.
How much money will you need?
Zero, nothing, nada. Are you surprised? You should not be, because after all, we are on a tight budget of zero dollars, yet, it is not a reason not to work hard and make your way to the top.
We are going to show you how, so, just keep reading!
What to Sell? – The 1 Million Dollar Question
Perhaps, the most popular and crucial question. We do not have a definitive answer, but rather the perfect solutions to find a winning product, so you can avoid the mistakes that the majority of beginners commit, such as choosing whatever product they find or overthink it and waste too many days looking for the “perfect” product.
How to do it the right way, then?
Let us show you how to do it effectively.
Spy Other Stores
No need to be a CIA or KGB agent, because all you need to do is to explore other stores using the following platforms:
- Most popular products from AliExpress
- Best Sellers from Amazon
- Top Sellers from Light in the Box
- Daily Deals from Ebay
Now, we have a pro technique for you, but it is going to cost you $7 USD. If you are down to it, then do the following:
- Head over to Ahrefs.com
- Register and sign up for the 1-week trial ($7 USD)
- Once you are in, write down the shopify.com address in the search bar
- You will have a full list of data, but just click the subdomains part
- Now, you have in your hands a wide myriad of stores using Shopify
You can filter it down by traffic, amount of backlinks or any other criteria you like.
How to do it without money?
If you do not want to spend the $7 USD, then you cannot use Ahrefs, but you can do the following:
- Head over to Google
- In the search bar, write down site:*.Shopify.com/ + “any niche” (ex: weight loss)
- Now you have in your hands a full list of suggestions
Explore different niches and learn from already-established stores.
What Factors to Consider?
Now, let us check what factors you need to consider at the hour of choosing a product. They will make your life easier and your store a homerun.
The Price Must be in the $30 to $60 USD Range
Selling a product in this price range allows you to obtain a good profit while reducing the buyer’s objections, which is a win-win for beginners.
Stay Away from Broad Categories
Stay away from general niches and instead niche down and go for sub-niches and micro-niches. You will find groups that will be more receptive to your marketing, and therefore, you will have higher chances of success.
For example, instead of selling general joggers, aim to sell special joggers for runners, and you can even create a separate sub-category such as joggers for sprinters or long-distance runners.
Just think out of the box and you will come up with amazing and profitable ideas!
Be Smart and Take Advantage of Trends
It is always a good idea to watch out for trends, and all you need to do is to head over to Google Trends, so you can explore what is hot right now. You will see what products have an increasing demand, and hence, help you to take the right decision.
You can us Google Trends to validate some ideas you have already in mind.
Setting Up your Shopify Store for Success – The Quick and Effective Approach
Now that you have a product to sell, which has been properly validated, now it is time to set up your store. Like the previous section, let us make it quick and effective, so you can start selling.
To make things easy for you, we have summarized it in the following steps:
- Choose a name for your store: Just keep it simple and somehow related to your niche
- Set up a free Shopify store: Just head over to Shopify.com and claim your free trial
- Choose a theme for your store: Explore the Shopify Theme Store and choose your favorite free theme
- Customize your chosen theme: You will find the settings at Online Store > Themes > Customize Theme
- Add a logo: You can do it yourself with free online tools like PlaceIt, LogoGenie and Hatchful
- Set up a payment gateway: You can use PayPal, Stripe, Shopify Payments and several other options
- Customize the shipping options: Just head over to Settings > Shipping, to erase all the non-international shipping zones and set up the international zone rate to free
- Get down your billing info:
As you can see, you can set up your store in just nine steps!
Finding the Right Suppliers for Quick Sales
Now that you have set up your store, it is time to find the right suppliers. To make things easy, we are going to use AliExpress, because it is one of the easiest platforms for Dropshipping.
All you need to do is to search for your products on AliExpress, and once you find the ones that you liked, add them to your Wish List. Make sure to check that the supplier ships to the country you are selling to, for example, the USA.
What do you need to consider when choosing a supplier?
To summarize things, just follow these pro tips:
- Try to look for sellers that have a positive rate between 90% to 100%
- Make sure to read independent reviews of the products
- Do not be fooled by low prices, because quality matters a lot more
- Write a message to the seller to check their responsiveness, because you need to work with reliable sellers
Just follow our method and tips and you will have a good handful of sellers ready to supply your stores with products.
Importing Products to Your Store – Getting Ready for Sales
Now you can import them manually, but if you want to make things a lot faster and practical, then you can rely on Oberlo.
It will help you to automate listing and even ship products to your customers automatically when they place an order. All you need to do is to head over to the App Store from Shopify, search for Oberlo and install it.
Now, let us show you how to configure it:
- Set up the application
- Install the Chrome App from Oberlo to import products from AliExpress easily
- Now, just visit your Wish List, click the blue arrow and you will add it to the Oberlo Import List Page
- Now you can edit all of the products and add them to your store easily
Simple, easy and practical. Now, go ahead and install Oberlo, as it is going to save you lots of time.
Top Tricks to Sell More: What Most Beginners Do Not Do!
If you want to sell much more than most beginners, many who do not even make their first sale, then you need to put in practice the following tips:
- Create a F.A.Q page to bring fast answers to your customers’ inquiries
- Display prices in several currencies
- Install Free Trust Seals App to add security, trustworthy logos to your online store, to boost your credibility
- Invest time into designing product banners, and you can do it thanks to Canvas
- Install Omnisend to win back abandoned carts and increase your sales
These tips will get you very far, and the best part is that they are easy and practical.
Now, it is time to see how you to start selling.
Promoting Your Store: How to Get Your First Sales (And a Lot More!)
Now that everything is in place, it is time to start selling. To make it quick and effective, we are going to explore the most profitable venues to get your first sales.
Eventually, you can turn them into venues that will drive you a lot of sales. You just need to focus on improving your marketing and that is all.
All you need to do is to search for Facebook groups that are relevant to your product. However, before you start promoting, follow these tips:
- Make sure to read the guidelines and rules of the group
- Add valuable content by answering people’s questions and concerns
- Share relevant posts from your blog
Once you have obtained trust from the group, you can share exclusive coupons with them or let them know about your store.
Just search for relevant subreddits and share valuable content that will get you upvotes, so you can gain credibility and stay on the top. Try different subreddits and mix up the types of content you use, and measure which ones drive you the more responses and most traffic.
Relevant forums to your product are a great way to drive traffic. Of course, you need to add high quality content and get a reputation in the community before posting. Once you have become credible enough, start promoting your store when it is appropriate.
Set up your own Tumblr blog and shares lots of relevant content. Make use of hashtags and interact with other blog owners, because it can drive you lots of targeted traffic when done right.
You can set up your own profile; fill it with relevant images and images of your products. To gain followers, make sure to follow followers who are fans from brands similar to yours. Furthermore, make sure to comment on relevant posts.
If you want to take it further, then you can contact Instagram influencers to promote your products. Of course, it is going to cost you money, so only do it if you are willing to invest.
Finally, head over to Shopify, install the Wanelo App and synchronize your store with their marketplace. It is a good way to drive even more sales.
Now that you have this guide in your hands, you only need to take action. In 14 days, you should have already sold your first products, and once you get traction, just keep going and analyzing what methods are driving the best results.
If you have any question, feel free to comment below!